Words of Encouragement for a MARINE!

17 Flares Filament.io 17 Flares ×

©IMG_2136

You may have heard me mention my nephew joining the Marine’s before but here’s a little more info about him…

Calvin Senior

Calvin, 18 years old, went from being a homeschooled high-schooler working two jobs, to a nobody in MARINE CORP boot camp at Parris Island in South Carolina.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don’t have that problem. –Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Calvin_Playing He prepared as much as he could and did really well on all his exams but his first letter home said it was nothing like what he expected. He said it was NOTHING like the YouTube videos!

It’s MUCH worse. There is a lot of mind control. “PICK IT UP! PUT IT DOWN! PICK IT UP!”

He shipped out just before Halloween (the day after my daughters 2nd birthday to be exact) and he will be gone until January. Ya know, unless he breaks something really bad has to come home. So he will be gone for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even his birthday which is also in December.

He is having a tough time and has been begging for more letters from home…. SSOOOOO I decided to get some help from YOU!

Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share. –Ned Dolan

If you have or know a family member in the military, if you love our men and women for their service or even if you’d just like to encourage a brave young man going through a tough time, PLEASE leave a comment below with your words of advice or encouragement and I will put together an uplifting letter to mail to him!©IMG_2174

In the name section of your comment please leave the name you’d like for me to refer to you as. Also, if you’d like to write your own personalized letter to him, please email it to me and I will mail it for you!

It doesn’t have to be long or take much time to write, anything uplifting will greatly be appreciated and will significantly improve his day!

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They’re aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They’ve got really short hair and they always go for the throat. –RAdm. “Jay” R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

17 Flares Twitter 7 Facebook 10 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- Filament.io 17 Flares ×

17 comments

1. Des AKA @StressFreeBaby
    Twitter:
    says:

Wow. With a 17 yr old son about to graduate high school, it’s hard not to read about your nephew and think about my own child. I would say this to him: You are on the path to greatness. You chose a path that may not be simple, but the easy way is rarely the most rewarding. As tough as things get, know that you are being prepared for challenges you may not be able to even comprehend may exist in your future. Stay strong. Dig deep and know that you will survive this. Fortitude will get you far. Take it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute if you have to. Just know you will get through. Thank you for what you are doing for our country.

2. Nikki says:

Tell him that it’s tough, but he WILL get through it. My cousin went into Marine boot camp about 13 weeks ago. He was always the most sensitive out of all my cousins, the one we thought would go into some type of teaching profession or something. We were all surprised when he wanted to join the Marines. The first few weeks were horrible, and I think he was looking for a way to come home. Right now though, at this very moment, he’s doing the Crucible part and then he’s done. So it’s beyond hard, but it does end. Good luck, Calvin!

• Traci (yo sista) says:

Thanks everyone, these are all very sweet comments! I’m Calvin’s mom! Nikki congrats to your cousin! How exciting for him, as soon as he finishes the crucible he will be a Marine and get his Eagle Globe and Anchor! :) That’s awesome!

3. Lindsay @ Lindsay Blogs
    Twitter:
    says:

Calvin, you are doing an amazing and selfless thing by joining the Marines. It is going to be the hardest thing you have ever done, but will also probably be one of the most rewarding. That’s usually how it goes, right? When we accomplish something that takes EVERYTHING WE HAVE to get through, we feel so much stronger at the end of it than we ever thought we could have.

You can make it through this and you will make a fantastic Marine when all is said and done.

4. Sarita Edgerton says:

Thanks so much for your willingness to serve our country. I know that with hard work and dedication you will make a fine soldier. I pray the God will bless you and keep you safe, Calvin! Praying for you here in our home!

5. Janet K
    Twitter:
    says:

I love this idea!! My stepbrother is in the Air Force and he was in a similar situation, missing Halloween, birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas during his first year. I remember him calling and saying that he was so sad that he couldn’t see my son dressed up for Halloween. Funny thing, though, he never really was super duper overly bonded with my son, but this almost brought him to tears.

To your nephew: You are making such a huge sacrifice for us and we are all truly grateful. While this time is hard for you in the present, you will get through this with God’s guidance, and your faith in Him. You will look back on this time and hold your head up high and know that you can get through anything. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to hearing about your accomplishments on the other side!!

6. CherylS22 says:

Keep your chin up, Calvin!
    I also have a nephew who is in the Marines – he has yet to be shipped out overseas. We’re looking for that to happen in early 2012. I know boot camp was tough & it’s even tougher when you have to be away from family at times that are important to you.
    Know that your family is so proud of you, as I am so proud of my nephew. We all thank you for the service you are doing for this country & for helping to preserve our freedom.
    My prayers & best wishes are with you – stay safe!

7. Jan (Calvin's grandma) says:

We are all so very proud. We all love you so much, Calvin! Thanks to Amy for doing such a nice post for Calvin. Thanks to Traci for raising such a good son. Thanks for all the nice comments. Grandpa and I miss you, but we are rooting for you as you are doing what you felt in your heart was the best. Thanks to you and all those in the military and their families.

8. Jay says:

I just stumbled on this site by accident and I couldn’t resist. Calvin, no matter how hard it gets, you’ll make it! Take if from someone who made it 40 years ago. Thank you for your courage and love of country to make this sacrifice for all of us. Of course I don’t know you, but everyone who is in or has served in the corps are brothers.

From an old Rottweiler; not as trim but still as big and mean as ever.

Hoorah!

9. lcpl deluca usmc 2008-current says:

the pain and discouragment you feel now is susposed to happen. you will remember these feelins and on the battle field you will succeed. i have been over seas and fought the good fight. i love the corps, i would do it again if i had to. dont give up stay strong and when you get your EGA you will understand why youve gone through this all. keep charging and semper fi

10. Lisa says:

Calvin,
    My son is leaving for boot camp today and I am very worried for him and all of the military! I am so grateful for your service to this country! What you are enduring to keep all of us safe…is remarkable!!! By now ,you have probably completed your training and are indeed a Marine!!!Congratulations and Thank You for your service!!!Semper Fidelis!!!